Harbury is a village and civil parish in the Stratford-on-Avon district of Warwickshire, England. It is about 3 miles (5 km) west-southwest of Southam and about 5 miles (8 km) southeast of Royal Leamington Spa. The parish includes the hamlet of Deppers Bridge. The 2011 Census recorded the parish's population as 2,420.
The village is on a ridge of lias up to 390 feet (119 m) high that runs roughly northeast-southwest. The parish covers 3,397 acres (1,375 ha). It is bounded by the River Itchen to the east, Fosse Way to the northwest, a minor road to the south and field boundaries on its other sides. Adjoining parishes are Bishop's Itchington, Bishop's Tachbrook, Chesterton, Ladbroke and Southam.
The A425 road and the Chiltern Main Line pass through the parish just north of Harbury village. Junction 12 on the M40 motorway is about 3 miles (5 km) south of the village.
A middle Bronze Age burial (carbon dated 1530-1320 BCE) has been found near a Neolithic pit to the northwest of the village. Bronze age pits and hearths, carbon dated to c. 1000 BCE, were found in 1972 near Sharmer Farm in the north of the parish. Although Harbury is close to the Fosse Way, a major Roman Road, only a few artefacts from this period are listed.
The toponym "Harbury" is from Old English, said to be derived from Edgar, an early tribal leader. The Domesday Book of 1086 records the manor as Edburberie where it is listed amongst lands granted to Henry de Ferrers by William the Conqueror. The land employed five ploughs and was valued at £4.
At the time of the Hundred Rolls in 1279 two windmills were recorded in the parish. The present brick-built tower mill in Mill Lane is late 18th-century. It is disused and has no sails.
The earliest known bridge over the Itchen at Deppers Bridge was built by the Lords of the Manor of Ladbroke. It is known to have existed by 1397, when it was out of repair and their lordships were ordered to have it renewed.
In 1611 the legacy of Thomas Wagstaff, late Lord of the Manor, established a school in the parish. An inscribed panel on the building records that his will was contested until settled by a Decree in Chancery in 1637. The former schoolhouse is an early 17th-century building of limestone, with mullioned and transomed windows, a schoolroom and Tudor fireplaces.
The cover of a silver chalice from the parish church is inscribed Harberbery 1576. Christopher Saxton's 1576 map of Warwickshire and Leicestershire marks the village as Harburbury. An open field system prevailed in the parish until an Inclosure Act passed by Parliament in 1779 was implemented, enclosing 120 yardlands (3,600 acres (1,457 ha)) of common land.
The earliest known record of a post office in the village is from September 1847, when a type of postmark called an undated circle was issued.
The Harbury Heritage Group maintains a heritage room at the village primary school.
The data used is based on the CV33 9 Postcode District. Some roads of Harbury may lie in other postcode districts as other areas may reside in this postcode sector.
Due to the small sample size, the data can become compromised due to fluctuating transaction levels or unusual transactions. As such, the data provided is for guidance only and must not be relied upon.
"Our luxury home was on the market with another agent and wasn't selling. We didn't know what to do."
Mr & Mrs Carrington
Find out how we're successfully selling homes in Harbury, based on our 11 Step Strategy.Our 11 Step Strategy