Kineton /?ka?nt?n/ is a village and civil parish on the River Dene in southeast Warwickshire, England. The village is part of Stratford-on-Avon district, and in the 2001 census it had a population of 2,278, increasing to 2,337 at the 2011 Census.
Kineton is about ten miles (16 km) from the towns of Banbury to the southeast, Warwick and Leamington Spa to the north, and Stratford-upon-Avon to the west. Nearby is the village of Wellesbourne with its historic water mill, Compton Verney House art gallery, the British Motor Museum at Gaydon, the Burton Dassett Hills country park and the battlefield of Edgehill. Kineton, in the district historically known as the Vale of the Red Horse, can also be considered to be part of the informal area of Banburyshire.
Kineton district council ward covers Gaydon, Lighthorne, Lighthorne Heath, Compton Verney, Combrook, Little Kineton and Chadshunt, a population of 4,228 according to the 2001 census, rising to 4,320 at the 2011 census. The village has some areas of light industry but is largely agricultural; many residents commute to nearby towns and cities for employment.
The first recorded reference to Kineton was in 969, when Saxon King Edgar granted some land here to a trusted counsellor.
The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book as Kington. On the outskirts of the village, at the foot of Pittern Hill, are the remains of the earthworks of a motte-and-bailey castle, known as King John's Castle, so called because it is believed that King John held a Court Leet there. Kineton gave its name to the area of southeast Warwickshire known as Kineton Hundred.
Early in the 13th century, Stephen de Segrave had a Tuesday market in his manor of Kineton, and a fair on the eve and day of St Peter and St Paul. The market died out by 1840, when the market house was pulled down and a school built on its site, but the fair on 5 February continued until recently.
For a period of the English Civil War, Kineton was looted by Prince Rupert with part of the Royalist army. This was after he had defeated Sir James Ramsay, from the Parliamentarians, and by doing this he failed to aid the rest of his army, thus leading to a neutral ending to the Battle of Edgehill on 23 October 1642. A year later, in July 1643, King Charles met with Queen Henrietta Maria at Kineton.
John Newton who lived from 1725 to 1807 and for a while lived in the village of Kineton where he wrote the words to "Amazing Grace" in 1772
William Kendall, co-builder of Birmingham Town Hall and subsequent Warwick County Surveyor and Steward to the Earl of Warwick, lived in Little Kineton in 1841.
Near the centre of the village stands St Peter's Church. Work on the current building, which replaced an earlier church on the same site, began in the 13th century. A completed church was consecrated in 1315. Of this new building only the fine tower remains.
The rest of the building has been rebuilt and remodelled over the centuries. In the 18th century Sanderson Miller enlarged the nave and added two transepts. A further remodelling campaign, which transformed the building into its current form, took place in the 19th century.
In 2008, three new bells were cast to augment the bells to eight, one replacing an existing bell. Taylors Eayre & Smith Ltd of Loughborough carried out the work. The eight bells were rung for the first time on 5 November 2008.
The village also has a 19th-century Methodist chapel and a 20th-century Roman Catholic church. Pittern Hill Mill, north-west of the village, is a stone windmill of the 18th century.
Village shops include a Co-op store, a traditional butcher, a newsagent, a flower shop, an optician, and the Nifty Needle curtain and soft furnishings/fabrics shop and workroom. There is a post office/convenience store and had a branch of HSBC Bank now converted into a pharmacy (2017). The village has a veterinary practice, a café, a fish and chip shop, two public houses, "The Swan", newly refurbished, and The Carpenters Arms (which has a Chinese take-away inside) and a restaurant, Shukur's Brasserie (which offers Bangladeshi and Indian cuisine).
The village and surrounding area are served by Kineton Church of England Primary School and Kineton High School, which takes students aged 11–19.
The data used is based on the CV35 0 Postcode District. Some roads of Kineton may lie in other postcode districts as other areas may reside in this postcode sector.
Due to the small sample size, the data can become compromised due to fluctuating transaction levels or unusual transactions. As such, the data provided is for guidance only and must not be relied upon.
"Our luxury home was on the market with another agent and wasn't selling. We didn't know what to do."
Mr & Mrs Carrington
Find out how we're successfully selling homes in Kineton, based on our 11 Step Strategy.Our 11 Step Strategy