Area Guide

Pillerton Hersey

About Pillerton Hersey

Pillerton Hersey is a village and civil parish about 5.5 miles (9 km) north of Shipston-on-Stour in Warwickshire, England. The village is on a stream that flows northwest to join the River Dene. The 2011 Census recorded the parish's population as 170.

Parish Church

The earliest parts of the Church of England parish church of St Mary the Virgin are mid-13th century. They include the Early English chancel, which Pevsner and Wedgwood praised as "uncommonly fine" and having a priest's doorway "of a design which may well be unique". The chancel has also a double piscina and a double aumbry.

In about 1400 a south aisle with a two-bay arcade was added to the nave. The nave roof and west tower are Perpendicular Gothic, and the tower was altered and increased in height in the 15th century. The chancel has a 17th-century hammerbeam roof. In the 19th century the south aisle was rebuilt, and in 1845 a north aisle with a three-bay arcade was added. The church is a Grade II* listed building.

The tower has three bells. The tenor was cast in 1602 by a member of the Newcombe family, who were bellfounders in Leicester. Henry I Bagley of Chacombe, Northamptonshire cast the treble in 1668 and the second bell in 1672. For technical reasons the bells are currently unringable.

St Mary's serves both Pillerton Hersey and nearby Pillerton Priors, whose own church burnt down in 1672. St Mary's parish is part of the Stourdene Benefice, which includes also the parishes of Alderminster, Butlers Marston, Ettington, Halford and Newbold on Stour.

Apart from the parish church, a British Telecom telephone kiosk is the only other public amenity in the village.

Source Wikipedia

The data used is based on the CV35 0 Postcode District. Some roads of Pillerton Hersey may lie in other postcode districts as other areas may reside in this postcode sector.

Due to the small sample size, the data can become compromised due to fluctuating transaction levels or unusual transactions. As such, the data provided is for guidance only and must not be relied upon.