Set at the end of a 16th-century row of Grade II Listed Tudor cottages overlooking the village green, 10 The Bank is a surprisingly unlisted stunning and characterful family home, built around 1856 and sensitively modernised and tastefully decorated with the amenities of modern living including feature centrepoint light fittings throughout to provide a fabulous contemporary family and entertaining space arranged over two floors.
The ground floor accommodation flows from a welcoming turreted entrance hall with a feature stone spiral staircase rising to the first floor and briefly comprises a lovely spacious front aspect sitting room with high ceiling, exposed oak flooring, feature stone-formed bay window and stone fireplace with log burning stove together with a recently-fitted kitchen with feature flagstone flooring, a range of bespoke contemporary units, modern integrated appliances and a door to the rear garden.
Mirroring the beautifully-presented ground floor accommodation, the first floor features an impressive front aspect principal bedroom with bespoke fitted wardrobes and stunning views over adjacent fields, one the source of the sandstone from which the house is constructed, an additional rear aspect double bedroom with built-in storage and a contemporary fully-tiled family shower room.
Having plenty of kerb appeal, the property is approached over a tiered front garden with mature planting and steps rising to the front door, affording lovely views over the village. Providing an oasis of calm and screened by mature hedging, the well-maintained garden to the rear is laid mainly to raised level lawn bordered by shrub and flower beds and provides a paved terrace, ideal for entertaining and al fresco dining, as well as giving access to a detached outbuilding incorporating a garden study with a separate decked terrace and an internal door to the garage, also accessible over a driveway to the rear of the property which offers off-road parking and a pedestrian gate to the property's rear garden.
Oil Central Heating System. Mains electricity, water and drainage are connected.
Broadband to the area.
Only those items mentioned in these particulars are included in the sale. All others are excluded but certain items may be made available by separate negotiation.
Warwickshire County Council, tel: 01926 410410
Stamp Duty Calculator
Energy Performance Certificate
10 The Bank, Stoneleigh, Coventry, Warwickshire, CV8 3DA
"Our dream was always to create a fabulous social hub at the heart of the Warwickshire countryside with its abundance of nature walk trails, but we had to wait until the right property came onto the market, one that met our criteria of having massive kerb appeal. Quite simply, our dream was to own a home with a wealth of character and history and fantastic village views together with superb commuter links and a space to create a tranquil home study to facilitate home working. When we found The Bank, we knew it was the property for us. We set about modernising it in a sensitive way, combining the amenities of modern living while retaining character features including its stone spiral staircase and stone-formed windows with leaded glazing, which add a real touch of character on both the outside and inside of the property. We loved the flexibility of the formal reception room for quiet downtime, the high ceiling giving us the opportunity to be creative when designing bespoke light fittings, now centrepoints of every room, while also giving us opportunities for informal inside-and-out entertaining in the fabulous kitchen and rear garden, a major plus to match our lifestyle. Upstairs, the principal bedroom has great views over the village and adjacent fields - we can see where the sandstone used to build the house was quarried. It's so nice to have amenities so close without them intruding on the ability to shut out the world when needed. We love it when friends, family and other visitors comment on how beautiful the house is. We'll miss it, but now is the time for it to be handed over to its next custodians."
10 The Bank was once an almshouse, traditionally charity-run residential accommodation designed to provide relief of financial hardship by the provision of housing and associated services or benefits. The original almshouses in Stoneleigh were built to provide unmarried parishioners suffering financial hardship with a home and (for the time) generous income, subject to regular church attendance.
The row of Grade II Listed almshouses nearby were founded in 1576 to provide homes for the poor by Sir Thomas and Lady Alice Leigh of Stoneleigh Abbey. The original inhabitants were all unmarried parishioners and comprised five men and five women, all of whom had to attend church each Saturday, Sunday and holy day as well as quarterly sermons given by the local vicar in return for a roof over their heads and a weekly allowance of a shilling, quite generous for the time.
Surprisingly unlisted, 10 The Bank was a later addition to the range of almshouses, one of four properties built at the instigation of Margaret, Dowager Lady Leigh, a later denizen of Stoneleigh Abbey, to commemorate the death of her husband, Lord Chandos Leigh on 27 September 1850, a date immortalised in stone over the door of the property.