Area Guide

Hockley Heath

About Hockley Heath

Hockley Heath is a large affluent village and civil parish in the Arden area mostly within the Metropolitan Borough of Solihull, West Midlands, England, incorporating the hamlet of Nuthurst. The parish, known as Nuthurst cum Hockley Heath, is to the south of the West Midlands conurbation, 12 miles (19 km) southeast of Birmingham 5.5 miles (8.9 km) from Solihull town centre, and 12.5 miles (20.1 km) north of Stratford-upon-Avon. The village forms part of the border with Warwickshire and the District of Stratford-on-Avon to the south, with some parts of the village on either side of the border. According to the 2001 census, the parish had a population of 6,771, being measured at the 2011 Census as 2,038.

The area known as Nuthurst derives its name from the anglo saxon Hnuthyrste, meaning Nut Wood, a woodland that covered what is now Nuthurst, along with the hamlet of Illshaw Heath, within the larger Forest of Arden.

William Dugdale found no mention of a settlement before the reign of Henry III (1216–72) but it has been identified with the woodland 'aet Hnuthyrste' given with Shottery to Worcester Cathedral by Offa of Mercia c. 705. In 872 Werfryd, Bishop of Worcester, granted to Eanwulf, the Kings thane, land at Hnuthyrst for four lives, with reversion to the monastery of Stratford.

After the Norman Conquest the name usually appeared as Notehurst, but gradually reverted to its present and original spelling. It was part of Hampton-in-Arden, and 1/5 knight's fee in Nuthurst was held of Niel de Mowbray c. 1230 and of Roger de Mowbray in 1242. The overlordship descended in this family, being held by Roger de Mowbray at his death in 1297, and by John Mowbray, Duke of Norfolk, in 1432.

The church at Nuthurst - at the time a curate chapel of Hampton in Arden - dates from at least 1216 and was dedicated to St Peter. A painting from 1820 shows the church in ruins and the only thing that remains of the church now is the graveyard and a ruined mortuary chapel dating from the 1800s.[5] The church likely fell out of use because of the construction of the church of St Thomas in Hockley Heath, which was closer to the main road of the hamlet.

After the Mowbrays the manor passed to the Montforts, Hastings and then to the Trussells. It was Sir William Trussell, of Nuthurst who informed Edward II of his disposition in favour of his son. During the conflict against Edward II, Sir William Trussell found himself fighting the Despencer family, who were amongst their other titles, lords of the manor of nearby Solihull.

By the 18th century the manor had passed to the Archers of Umberslade Hall. The Umberslade estate sits on the border of Nuthurst and Tanworth in Arden and had been built for the Archer family in 1680. Lord Archer raised a 70 feet (21 m) limestone block obelisk on the estate in 1749. The reason for this is unclear, possibly to celebrate his elevation to the peerage or just, as was the fashion during that period, as a folly.[4] However, according to local folklore it is said to mark the passing of a favoured horse, which is buried beneath it.

When local industrialist and politician, Mr G. F. Muntz became resident in Umberslade Hall he instigated the building of Umberslade Baptist church in Nuthurst and the adjoining Baptist school in 1876. The Baptist Church and Obelisk are now separated from Umberslade Hall by the M40 motorway, which cuts through the Halls former grounds.

A country house called Nuthurst Grange was built in the settlement in 1882, once serving as home to Walter Higgs. It is now a luxury hotel and wedding venue.

Today the hamlet lies in the south of Hockley Heath, and borders Lapworth to the South East, and Tanworth-in-Arden to the southwest.

Source: Wikipedia

The data used is based on the B94 6 Postcode District. Some roads of Hockley Heath may lie in other postcode districts as other areas may reside in this postcode sector.

Due to the small sample size, the data can become compromised due to fluctuating transaction levels or unusual transactions. As such, the data provided is for guidance only and must not be relied upon.