Ullenhall is a village and civil parish in the Stratford-upon-Avon district of Warwickshire, England, situated about 2 miles (3.2 km) west of Henley in Arden, 11.2 miles (18.0 km) west of the county town of Warwick and 5 miles (8 km) east of Redditch. The population of the civil parish as taken at the 2011 census was 717.
The name means Ulla's nook, the Old English word hahl, meaning a nook or corner of land, suggesting the hollow in which the village is situated, being compounded with a personal name of Scandinavian origin. The manor is recorded in the Domesday Book where it is listed as Holehale, one of the lands of Robert de Stafford. "In Ferncombe Hundred in Holehale (Ullenhall) 1 hide. Land for 15 ploughs. 17 villagers and 11 smallholders with 6 ploughs. Woodland ½ league long and 1 furlong wide. The value was and is £3 Waga held it." Waga, whose name is preserved in the nearby village of Wootton Wawen, was one of the witness's to Earl Leofric's, husband of Lady Godiva, foundation of the monastery at Coventry during the first year of the reign of Edward the Confessor (1042/3). His lands extended beyond those at Ullenhall, but, following the Conquest, Ullenhall was bestowed by the conqueror on Robert de Stafford, descended from the de Tonei family and who had fought stoutly with Duke William against King Harold. He made Stafford his principal seat, where he had a strong castle and assumed his surname from thence.
Ullenhall stands on lands that were originally part of the Barrells Hall estate. The earliest mention of Barrells was a reference to a Richard Barel in 1405. In 1554 the estate was purchased by Robert Knight of Beoley, 4 miles west of Ullenhall, and remained in the Knight family until 1856. An inventory taken in 1652 shows that it was then an ordinary farmhouse, and a member of the Knight family appeared in the 1682 Heralds' Visitation of Warwick. The future 1st Earl, Robert Knight, Lord Luxborough, purchased Barrells from a cousin in 1730. When Henrietta St John was banished to Barrells in 1736 it was still a relatively simple house, in very poor condition. When his son married in 1750 he commissioned the Italian architect Joseph Bonomi the Elder to build an imposing extension, which thereafter became the main house. On Henrietta's death in 1756 her husband rebuilt large parts of it.
His wife Henrietta, Lady Luxborough, made the house the hub of a literary circle after her husband banished her to Barrells following a romantic indiscretion. She was one of the first to establish a ferme ornée and is credited with the invention of the word "shrubbery". She was a prominent member of the Warwickshire Coterie, a group of poet friends including the poet William Shenstone, who had developed his own ferme ornée at The Leasowes in Halesowen, Shropshire.
The family crest was a winged spur which gives its name to the village pub to this day. The Newtons owned the house after the Knights and extended it dramatically. However, the house was very seriously damaged by fire in 1933 and lay derelict until 2005 when it was restored as a family home.
Despite its ancient roots, Ullenhall was not established as a separate Ecclesiastical Parish until June 1861 when the old manors of Apsley, Forde Hall and Mockley were also included in the parish.
The data used is based on the B95 5 Postcode District. Some roads of Ullenhall may lie in other postcode districts as other areas may reside in this postcode sector.
Due the small sample size, the data can become compromised due to fluctuating transaction levels or unusual transactions. As such, the data provided is for guidance only and must not be relied upon.
"Our luxury home was on the market with another agent and wasn't selling. We didn't know what to do."
Mr & Mrs Carrington
Find out how we're successfully selling homes in Ullenhall, based on our 11 Step Strategy.Our 11 Step Strategy
Register your details to be notified of properies For Sale in UllenhallRegister